Attend The Public Meetings July 9 and 11 — “Save The JO!”
Posted by Transit Action Network on July 8, 2012
Please remember to attend this weeks public meetings with Johnson County Transit (JCT) regarding the severe service eliminations and reductions proposed for January 2013. The final decision on service reductions will be made the beginning of August. You can’t wait to object.
Johnson County has 20 transit routes. They are proposing to eliminate 8 routes and make service modifications to 9 routes.
This issue is important to all JO riders. Your route could be in the next round of cuts.
- The Board of County Commissioners Transit priority order is:
- Protecting the most vulnerable county residents by holding harmless both the Special Edition and SWIFT services;
- Supporting the TIGER investments along the Metcalf Avenue and Shawnee Mission Parkway corridors by maintaining the Connex service;
- I-35 Xpress;
- Supporting the K-10 Connector, an express commuter service between Lawrence and Overland Park; and
- Supporting Local Link services operating within specific Johnson County cities.
No other routes are safe.
Attend Public Hearings held by Johnson County Transit
a. DATES and TIMES:
- Monday July 9, 2012, 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Wednesday July 11, 2012, 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
b. LOCATION: Sylvester Powell Community Center at 6200 Martway in Mission, Kansas. (both hearings)
If you can’t make one of the meetings this week, please contact both Johnson County Transit and the Board of County Commissioners to express your displeasure about the service cuts. If they don’t hear from people, they assume it doesn’t matter if the routes are cut.
Comments to JCT on proposed changes can be made via e-mail, phone, mail
- E-mail: Comments@thejo.com
- Mail: Johnson County Transit, 1701 West 56 Highway, Olathe, Kansas 66061
- Phone: 913-715-8255 – record your message
Comments for the Board of Commissioners can be made at 913-715-0430 or email the county using the county contact form and choose the category ALL in order to send your message to the whole Board of County Commissioners.
Later in the month: Please Attend the Final FY 2013 Budget public meeting with the Board of County Commissioners
Budgetary issues are the reason for the proposed service reductions.
a. DATE and TIME: Monday July 23, 2012 at 7:00 p.m
b. LOCATION: BoCC meeting room, Johnson County Administration Building, 111 S. Cherry, Olathe, KS 66061