KC Downtown Streetcar And The Funding Election
Posted by Transit Action Network on August 29, 2012
If you live in the newly created downtown Transportation Development District (TDD) get ready to pick up you next ballot to vote for funding the downtown streetcar. The TDD board decided on another mail-in election, just like the first election.
The second election consists of two questions.
The first question is for the 1-cent retail sales tax.
The second question is for special assessments on property:
- Residential property — 70 cents per $100 of assessed value
- Property for non-profits — 40 cents per $100 of property assessed between $300,000 and $50 million
- Commercial property — 48 cents per $100 of assessed value
- Municipal (city) property — $1.04 per $100 of assessed value
- Commercial surface parking lots — fee of 15 cents per space per day
You need to vote yes on both questions. Both questions have to pass for a successful outcome.
Important dates and times:
- August 31 @ 8 am – Ballot request period starts. Request ballot from Jackson County Courthouse (or print it from the Judge’s Ruling document below)
- October 2 @ 5 p.m. Deadline to return completed ballot request and proof of voter registration
- October 30 – Ballots mailed
- December 11 @ 5 pm – Ballots due at Jackson County Courthouse
The TDD Board consists of Mayor Sly James, Port Authority Chair George Wolf, residential property owner Matthew Staub, and commercial property owner Jeff Krum (CFO of Boulevard Brewing Company). Mayor James and Matthew Staub are co-chairs of the TDD Board.
The Kansas City Streetcar Authority, formed on Aug. 3, consists of downtown stakeholders and city appointees. It’s role is contracting streetcar operations and consulting on remaining engineering and construction activities with Public Works.
As soon as the second election is final, the city can issue bonds and start construction. Operation is planned for 2015.
Judge’s Ruling: KC Streetcar Order for Funding Election
The ballot application is Exhibit B of the Judge’s Ruling. Print, fill out and return the ballot request by 5 p.m. on October 2, 2012 along with proof of voter registration to:Jackson County Court Administrator Attn: TDD Ballot Application 415 East 12th Street, Third Floor, Room 303 Kansas City, MO 64106
Proof of voter registration can be a current copy of your voter registration card or go to www.kceb.org and print proof of registration using the “Check Your Voter Status” box.