Missouri State Rail Plan – Open House Nov. 2
Posted by Transit Action Network on October 29, 2011
Where: Sermon Center North Room, 201 N. Dodgion Ave, Independence
When: 5:30 – 7 p.m. Wednesday, November 2, 2011
Missouri’s rail vision is to provide safe, environmentally friendly transportation options supporting efficient movement of freight and passengers, while strengthening communities and advancing global competitiveness through Inter-modal connectivity.
STATE RAIL PLAN
The Missouri Department of Transportation is developing a Statewide Rail Plan that will provide the strategic framework for the development of both freight and passenger rail service in Missouri for the next twenty years.
Discussion items include:
- An overview of the Plan and Federal Rail funding
- The current state of freight and passenger rail in Missouri
- The business case for rail including it’s importance to Missouri’s economy
- Increased demand and interest in intercity passenger rail
- The role of publicly funded improvements to move people and goods on privately owned railroad systems.
- The importance of different types of rail projects compared to other infrastructure needs, given likely funding limitations.
MoDOT wants your input. If you cannot attend the public open house, the presentation and public comment forms are available at the MoDOT State Rail Plan website. The virtual meeting and comment period will be accessible through November 18. Public Meeting Presentation Please spread the word.